Global Taxi Directory, taxi services, cab services and limo services from all over the world!
sponsored links
       New taxi company

       Password forgotten?
       Click here!

How to obtain a taxi diver licence in New Zealand

Author: New Zealand Land Transport

To obtain a taxi driver licence to drive a taxi in New Zealand, it is mandatory to have a P endorsement for carrying passengers. Learn how to obtain a P endorsement in New Zealand.

Who needs a P endorsement?


Taxi drivers in New Zealand need a passenger endorsement (P endorsement) to operate as such.


You need a P endorsement if you drive a small or large passenger service vehicle like your taxi giving a passenger service.


A small passenger service vehicle has a maximum of 12 seats (included the driver). A large passenger service vehicle has more than 12 seats.


How to get a P endorsement


To get a P endorsement you must hold, and have held for at least two years, a full Class 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 driver licence. (Holding an equivalent overseas licence will not meet this requirement.)


The application form for a P endorsement is DL20. If you're going to be driving a small passenger taxi service vehicle, the form will ask you to provide a unique identifier that will be printed on your driver ID card. A unique identifier is a 'password' of up to eight characters that can be easily remembered. (If your identifier can't be easily remembered by your passengers, Land Transport New Zealand will ask you to select another one.)


Completing a course

You'll need to provide a certificate showing that you've successfully completed an approved passenger endorsement course.


To find out about courses:

Look in the Yellow pages.

Contact your nearest Land Transport New Zealand regional office.

Call our Driver Licensing Call Centre: (freephone) 0800 822 422).


What else you have to do?

You can't drive a taxi service vehicle on the New Zealand’s road just because you've got the course certificate. You must successfully complete the application process and get the P endorsement on your driver licence.


To drive a taxi you must also hold an area knowledge certificate. (See Factsheet 4, Area knowledge certificates.)


How to apply for a P endorsement

You can apply for a P endorsement at your nearest Land Transport New Zealand driver licensing agent.


You'll need:

  • a completed DL20 application form (available from the agent)
  • evidence of your identity (eg, your current New Zealand driver licence)
  • evidence of your address (eg, a recent bill or account statement) 
  • a medical certificate (if applicable)
  • a certificate showing you have successfully completed an approved passenger endorsement course
  • a Notice of Determination (if applicable - you may not need to have the 'fit and proper person' check again if you hold a current V, I or O endorsement)
  • a means of paying the fees (cheque, cash or EFTPOS card).


You should allow six to eight weeks for your application to be processed, because of the requirement to carry out a ‘fit and proper person’ check.


Options when you apply

You may not want to complete the required course until you've passed the 'fit and proper person' check.


When you put your application in, you can either:

  • provide a certificate showing you've successfully completed an approved course (and book your practical driving test), or
  • submit your application without having completed an approved course and either
  • wait for the result of the 'fit and proper person' check before doing a course (and booking the practical driving test), or
  • complete an approved course (and book your practical driving test) while you wait for the result of the 'fit and proper person' check.


About medical certificates

You need to present a medical certificate for a P endorsement if:

  • you haven't submitted a medical certificate for classes 2 to 5 or endorsements P, V, I or O in the last five years
  • you've developed a medical condition that could adversely affect your ability to drive safely, or a condition has worsened
  • you are requested to by Land Transport New Zealand (regardless of when you last presented a medical certificate).  


A medical certificate must be from a registered medical practitioner and dated no more than 60 days before the date of your application.


About the eyesight check

You'll be asked to have an eyesight screening test as part of your application. You must pass this check, or present a satisfactory eyesight certificate from a registered medical practitioner or a registered optometrist. An eyesight certificate must not be more than 60 days old.


Sitting the practical driving test

As part of gaining your P endorsement, you must sit the Class 1 full licence practical driving test. (Note: this isn't required if you've passed the test in the last five years.)


This is a one-hour, on-road driving test and is designed to assess how safely you drive. See Factsheet 58, Full licence test for driving a car for more information about what the test will involve.


About the 'fit and proper person' check

Your application will be sent to the nearest Land Transport New Zealand regional office for a 'fit and proper person' check to be undertaken. The person who carries out the check considers any:

  • transport-related offences, especially relating to safety
  • history of mental health or behavioural problems
  • past complaints about a transport service you may have operated
  • history of persistent failure to pay fines for transport-related offences
  • criminal convictions (in New Zealand or overseas), including charges or convictions relating to violent or sexual offences, drug or firearms offences, or offences involving organised criminal activity
  • serious convictions - persons convicted of specified serious offences and who have been sentenced to imprisonment for a term exceeding 12 months, are prohibited from holding or applying for a passenger endorsement.  The specified serious offences are:
    • murder
    • a sexual crime under Part VII of the Crimes Act 1961 that is punishable by seven or more years' imprisonment, including sections 144A and 144C
    • crimes under any of the following sections of the Crimes Act 1961: 173, 174, 175, 176, 188, 189(1), 191, 198, 199, 200(1), 201, 208, 209, 210, 234, 235 and 236

  • any offence committed outside New Zealand that, if committed within New Zealand, would constitute one of the above offences.


Read a detailed list of offences in section 29A of the Land Transport Amendment Act 2005 (on the Knowledge Basket web site).


Read a detailed list of offences under sections 144A and 144C of the Crimes Act 1961 (on the Knowledge Basket web site).


Any other information that is in the interest of public safety can also be taken into account.


Your application my be delayed while checks for criminal convictions are carried out. If you have any related documents (eg, an overseas criminal history report), please include them with your application.

If you're not a New Zealand citizen or don't hold a resident's permit, you will need a work permit or some other temporary permit to show that you can work in New Zealand.


If you have any concerns about the 'fit and proper person' check, contact a commercial road transport administration officer at a Land Transport New Zealand regional office.


Not cleared

If you're not cleared by the 'fit and proper person' check, you'll be sent a letter explaining why and of your right of appeal to the district court.



If you meet the 'fit and proper person' requirements, and all other relevant tests have been completed, your application will be approved and the new licence will be mailed to you. Where you have elected to have the 'fit and proper person check' completed before the other tests are done, you'll be sent a Notice of Determination (valid for 90 days). Show the notice to the driver licensing agent when you go to complete your application. (If the notice expires before you finish the relevant courses or tests, call the help desk or your nearest Land Transport NZ regional office.)


Fee for the 'fit and proper person' check

The fee for the 'fit and proper person' check is called a vetting fee. If you've already been through the check (eg, you hold a current V, I or O endorsement), you won't be charged for it again until you renew your endorsements.



There is provision for the reinstatement of a P endorsement where a person has a conviction for a specified serious offence. Reinstatement cannot be granted where the person has been sentenced to a term of imprisonment exceeding 12 months for any conviction of murder or a sexual crime under Part VII of the Crimes Act 1961). If you need more information on reinstatement, use the contacts at the end of this factsheet.

Also see section 29B of the Land Transport Act 1998 as inserted in 2005 (on the Knowledge Basket website).


P endorsement fees

The table below sets out the fees for a P endorsement, which can be issued for one or five years.

The fees only apply to new endorsements.

Note that course fees vary between providers and aren't included in the table.

New Zealand Government Land Transport Department

© New Zealand Land Transport

Link: New Zealand

Rate How to obtain a taxi diver licence in New Zealand
1.5 stars Ave. rating: 1.5 from 18 votes.
  ranjith   --   Hyderabad ( Andhra Pradesh) (India)
posted: 2015-07-11 03:18:34
I'm with learner license in new zeland. And I recently got full driver license in India. Can I use that and convert to nz license. Please confirm.